H2D Architecture + Design’s current project is a new green, custom Seattle home. The existing single story house on the site will be deconstructed and a new two story house will be constructed on the existing concrete foundation. Materials from the existing house will be donated (appliances, windows, doors, etc), recycled (drywall, roofing, etc), or reused in the new house (old framing lumber, beams, etc). Striving to achieve Built Green certification, the project will incorporate sustainable building materials and methods inside and out.
Green strategies include:
- Deconstruction of the existing house
- Solar hot water and design for future photovoltaic panels on the roof
- Energy efficient building envelope
- Advanced framing techniques
- Rainscreen siding application
- Rainwater collection system
- Local, sustainable finish materials (flooring, tile, countertops, etc)
- Exterior lighting to meet Dark Sky Standards
- Green roofs
- 100% recycled content tile from a local company, Bedrock Industries
- Recycled content countertops from a local company, Novustone
- Salvaged hardwood flooring milled from reclaimed horse fencing
- Dual flush toilets
- Triple glazed windows sized and located strategically to maximize ventilation
- FSC Certified Tigerwood decking on exterior decks
- Low and Zero VOC paints and stains throughout the interior of the home
- Energy efficient lighting
The project team is striving to create a healthy environment for this family home. Energy efficiency, indoor air quality, and using local sustainable materials is a prime driving force for the design of this home.
Are you planning a build a new home? Contact H2D at 206-370-4762 to learn more about the design and construction process. We’d love to hear about your project!